As an avid traveler, I've found it difficult to locate a travel buddy. I'd love to try to "go it alone" either via a tour or on my own. Has anyone successfully travelled solo w/a tour or on their own? Have any recommendations?

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a friend of my has gone on several trips with a travel group called "AllSinglesTravel.com." she's given the group good reviews in the past.
Backroads is another option. They do lots of adventure tour/high-end camping stuff (According to my co-worker it's gourmet campfire fare with high ed drinks every night and every aspect of the less desirable camping experience - like carrying tents, setting up equipment, lugging water- is managed for you). It's a little pricey but the reviews are unbelievable. I have co-workers who each went alone. I am working on planning a trip with them this summer! They have specific tours for individuals versus families. If you want more info about the different trips my friends took I'd be happy to share.

www.backroads.com
I too have found myself in this situation... I have looked into opportunities to travel, for example cruises, but everything turns out to be a "singles" setup, which fits, but at the same time has a certain stigma... Someone recommended this site but I don't know:
http://www.singlestravelcompany.com/
I've done a fair amount of traveling on my own, and while it requires a certain chutzpah and courage to take the first step, its fine after that. I had trouble finding someone to travel with too -- either didn't have the money or time or inclination, so I'll admit it wasn't by choice that I travelled alone. But advantages: can be cheaper than a group, and you can spend/do whatever you want at whatever pace you want. I don't know how old you are, but I'd also add this is better if you're younger -- I did it in college and when I was 25 -- and on that trip when I was 25, I was noticeably one of the older people on the bus (though not by much). But for both I was staying in hostels, where you meet a lot of friendly people and it was rare I didn't have someone to hang out with when I wanted to. Take proper precautions when going solo. And whether you decide to go solo or find a group, I say do it -- its liberating, and of course you get to take the trip you want to take.
I know this is really a late reply, but I'm not on here too much.

I have done quite a bit of solo travelling and have had great experiences with it. Someone in the string mentioned Club Getaway, and I have done that as well and it was fantastic.

I have also traveled with:

singlescruise.com

bestsingletravel.com

singlestravelservice.com

I have met fabulous people on each trip- people from all over the country whom I have stayed in touch with. The organization of the trips has been excellent and I will continue to travel with them. The costs may seem a little pricey, but honestly, you are always going to pay a little premium for something coordinated like this. Personally I think it has been well-worth every dime.
Jill,
Last summer I wanted to travel and didn't have anyone who was available, so I booked a Contiki tour to central and southern Mexico. It was an incredible experience. There were about 25 people in the group. 20 of them were from Australia! I wouldn't necessarily recommend Contiki for their Mexico tours because they use contractors as guides, but their European tours ("holidays") are fantastic. Now solo traveling seems so much less scary!
I will be heading to Egypt this summer (probably alone) after I do a Birthright trip to Israel. Anyone know of any good tours in that area? I've traveled before and don't mind being alone, just not sure Egypt is the best place for a solo female.
Alix thanks for all the great tour suggestions. I'm definitely going to check these out.

Alix Foster said:
I know this is really a late reply, but I'm not on here too much.

I have done quite a bit of solo travelling and have had great experiences with it. Someone in the string mentioned Club Getaway, and I have done that as well and it was fantastic.

I have also traveled with:

singlescruise.com

bestsingletravel.com

singlestravelservice.com

I have met fabulous people on each trip- people from all over the country whom I have stayed in touch with. The organization of the trips has been excellent and I will continue to travel with them. The costs may seem a little pricey, but honestly, you are always going to pay a little premium for something coordinated like this. Personally I think it has been well-worth every dime.
OMG Andrew, why didn't you invite me to Hawai? Did you take surfing lessons? I'm dying to take lessons in NJ this summer.

I've most recently headed to Paris which was fabulous...

Did you do anything off the beaten track in Australia?

Andrew Svonavec said:
Jill--

I went to Hawaii alone a few years ago and I went to Australia this past August alone simply because in both cases the timing was right. No one was around to join me and I thought both trips would be a bust. Turns out both were great. I think its pretty easy to meet new people, especially overseas, when you are solo. When I have gone on trips with others, recently to Chile and Costa Rica, we mostly kept to ourselves and really didn't sink into the local culture. Safety is a concern when solo, but as long as people think about a situation and plan things out, it should not be a major point of worry. Remember, never walk into a situation you can't walk out of. I think that is what they said in "Heat".
I would recommend going places solo where you know the language. It may limit your choices, but it will make it easier to mix with locals. Avoid the tours. I have never done one with a company that specializes with solo travelers, but something tells me it just wouldn't be great.
Where have you traveled in the past couple years?
Hi Rebecca,

I have always wanted to travel to Egypt, but all of my friends have other obligations or don't have the funds to go. I have been barking up that tree for over 4 years now, but have the same hesitation as you - a solo girl in Egypt may not be the safest bet. Anyway, good luck and let me know what package you decide on - I'd love to get enough courage to do something like that!

Rebecca said:
I will be heading to Egypt this summer (probably alone) after I do a Birthright trip to Israel. Anyone know of any good tours in that area? I've traveled before and don't mind being alone, just not sure Egypt is the best place for a solo female.
About 3 years ago I went to Costa Rica on my own but used an organized tour company. It was wonderful, everyone was friendly, and just an overall great experience.
Wow you solo travelers are very inspiring and brave. Here I am thinking I'm pretty independent going to the movies by myself.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Connect!

Enter Your E-Mail for NJYP Event Updates!

Visit our sponsor partner

BAM Sports Leagues runs co-ed recreational sports leagues for adults in Northern/Central NJ!

Sports: Kickball, Dodgeball, Softball, Football, Basketball, Soccer, Floor Hockey, Volleyball.

Photos

© 2024   Created by Brian and Mike.   Powered by

info@NJYP.org  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service